Sunday, March 20, 2011

Spring Break

Over spring break, I didn't have a working laptop and I wasn't about to pack up my desktop (which is what I'm usually on). My laptop worked for the first day (Saturday) but the screen went black when I was checking my email and no amount of ctrl alt deleting, restarting or swearing would fix it. It was still on and humming and I could see something on the screen but it might've just been burned into or something. I don't understand computer screens a whole lot, but I know our work computer has the icons burned into the screen so they always appear even over the current program but they're faded. And that's sort of what this looked like. I have a lot of stories (all started but few finished) that I want to get somehow so I think I'll try some trickery with hooking the RGB cable from my desktop to the laptop. The computer might be completely broken though. I really only need it to work for two days (I think that'll be enough time to transfer everything) but if it doesn't, it's no great loss. Most of the better stories I have in my vault (my memory) and only two or three were ever written to any great detail that I'd like to have them back. Those weren't good, but they took a lot of time. And I have one short story that I finished that I could enter in the school contest. It's not great, it's not even good. It's cute, it's amateur, a nice try, entertaining but it doesn't do a whole lot of characterization and the plot's a bit thin. I need to caricaturize the antagonist more and add some cuteness to the pup and some personality trait to the vet. It was about this woman coming to drop off her dog at a vet for euthanasia because he got big and barked too much. And I, as the narrator, am schlepping for the vet in the backroom declawing a cat and dealing with this bitchy woman. I think it's kind of like when people write about the death of a family member. Readers are so sympathetic that they can't tell you that technically the writing isn't that special.

But that's all of the blog entry I'm going to do. I want to get up early tomorrow before the sunrise to try and relax a little. My nerves are getting to me. I slept in 7 of the 10 days of break (the three being today, yesterday and Friday when my sister, her dogs and her boyfriend/new fiance were in town) but getting to bed at night was awful. I probably got seven hours of sleep each night I slept in. I'd go to bed early, like midnight or one but I wouldn't be able to sleep until 3 or 4. The only reason I stay up late is nerves like that.

Shit, I guess I added a bit more to the entry. But the rest will just be my next few blog ideas that I wanted to do over break. They're not in any order. If they were, I'd've numbered them.

-Running story (I need a team and a whiteboard like Dr. House to see if I actually like the idea)
-"Scholarly" writing
-Moby Dick
-Dragon Age 2 review
-Shaving
-Memory and recent problems with it
-Charlie Brown humor vs Will Ferrel Humor
-Losing weight
-My crush on my German professors and certain fantasies that I've had because of it (They're about as adult as fantasizing about giving her a high five)

-Cantwhistle

P.S. Anyone unfortunate enough to read this should use double contractions. (I'd've is my most common one. I think it's why people mistake "I would have" contracted as "I would've" as "I would of" when writing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment